When your engine oil light comes on, it may be your engine is low on oil or there's not enough oil pressure in the system. The problem could be a loose or dirty oil filter or a bad seal. Learn how to know when you need to stop driving or get an oil change.
Why Is the Engine Oil Light On?
1) Low oil level. The most common reason the engine oil light is on is the low oil level. When this happens, it will tell you to add more engine oil, so your car does not seize up and stop working.
2) Oil filter change. The second most common reason for the light coming on is that you need to change your car oil filter. It will help remove any impurities in the engine and reduce the risk of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
3) Faulty sensor: If this is true, you will have to take your vehicle to a mechanic or auto shop as soon as possible, so they can diagnose and replace any faulty parts that may be causing the issue.
What To Do When the Engine Oil Light Comes On
When the engine oil warning light comes on, you should:
- Check the oil level. If it is low and the gauge shows enough fluid for another 5 miles of driving, you can get to an auto parts store and buy a quart of oil.
- Check your engine's oil filter. You will need a wrench that fits. If your car has a spin-on type of filter and someone else replaced it before you bought it, they could have installed one with different threads or made of plastic instead of metal. If so, this may be causing problems with getting fuel into your engine or preventing air from escaping through its exhaust system when everything heats up during use (or both).
- Fix the sensor. The engine oil warning light means the sensor detects the oil level is below the critical level. Driving with it on can cause damage to your car because your engine needs oil to lubricate, cool, and clean itself. This damage can be expensive to fix. When that light comes on, repair it as soon as possible.
When the Engine Oil Warning Light Is On, Is It OK To Drive?
The engine oil warning light is a sign that your vehicle's engine needs more lubrication. The light will come on when the oil level is low or if there is a problem with the oil pressure. If you don't have enough oil in your car, it can cause damage to your engine's internals and make it difficult for your engine to run smoothly.
If you need oil warning light repair, give The Car & Truck Guys a call today!